back to Five Willows Literary Review main site

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Tanka --- Karma Tenzing Wangchuk


Untitled Tanka                        by Karma Tenzing Wangchuk

A soft rain
falls on your porch,
the door left open
to let the sound of it
join us for supper.

Not much Spring
in my step these days
except maybe
on the way to her place
and on the way back.

While she's away
I water her houseplants,
bring in her mail
(mostly bills, reminding me
I owe her everything).

She hugs me
so long and tenderly
I'm lost in her,
and for an anchor 
forced to plant a kiss.

Waiting for her
to get out of the shower,
envious
of every drop of water
touching her.

Sometimes the wind
will strip a branch bare
of flowers--
a thought that came just now,
knowing you're leaving soon.

A Facebook friend
tells me her favorite flower
is the dandelion--
I think she must be
a good person, don't you?

Sometimes
everything hinges
on a word--
poets and lovers 
know this.

2 comments:

  1. "...envious of every drop of water touching her..." --lovely line. A lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We appreciate your comments, Joe.

    ReplyDelete