back to Five Willows Literary Review main site

Monday, February 13, 2017

New poem by George Held

Acid Peace

On the slope of Mount Wai‘ale‘ale,
World’s wettest spot,
Kamalu passes out the blue caps

While we covet the last tokes
On our blunts, and rain
From Kauaian skies

Tattoos the tin roof
Of that folk star’s warm house
Well after midnight.

Swallowing the cap,
I look up at the smoke
Wafting to the ceiling

And nestling there
Where I will soon
See the shapes of demons

And then feel the floor
Collapse and let me freefall
Into the earth’s core.

Sensing my panic,
Malia, in purple velvet gown,
Begins to play her guitar

And sing heavenly songs
In no tongue, just her ethereal
Voice and perfect timbre,

And Puana hugs
My shoulder and says in my ear,
“We are all one, Bra’,

“We are all in harmony
With the akua, the gods –
We are all one, Bra,’”

And I look up into the smoke
Swirling on the ceiling
And I see that the world

Is good, and I hear peace
In Malia’s soothing voice
And I feel safe, saved,

Until my flight brings me down
Next day in cold, gray San Francisco,

And I know I have to let drugs go . . .

1 comment:

  1. Missed that "one," George, in Hawaii, but knew others such, and yes we are all one, more in pieces than in peace -- but you gotta start somewhere (as, unfortunately, end) ...

    ReplyDelete