back to Five Willows Literary Review main site

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Connie Walle -------- poem



Duplicitous



Lies pile up
harden like plastic
even a joke
can’t take off
the shine.

If you tell the truth
you don’t have
to remember
anything.

I'm not upset
that you lied to me,
I'm upset that
from now on
I can't believe you.

Don’t be sorry.
I trusted you.
My mistake,
not yours.

I lie to myself
all the time, but
I never believe me.


     Connie Walle, President
        Puget Sound Poetry Connection  

My thanks to Mark Twain, Friedrich Nietzsche, S.E. Hilton, & Veronica Roth

3 comments:

  1. Great title defined well in "Connie Walle" style.
    You ARE talking about a certain politician, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie,
    I wanted to share a poem with you, as your poems of lies touched me.
    Well done!
    Julie

    Lies


    Whiteness broken by elaborate lies
    No surprise in your stark brightness

    I walk upon the path listening
    Among the glistening stars as we talk

    Can I believe the words you speak?
    Lies that wreak havoc but I’m relieved

    That I’m not expected to follow
    As you wallow in self-pity, reflected

    In your eyes, a history of pain, if
    You’d only refrain from telling your lies

    Julie A. Dickson
    Exeter, NH
    Jdickson55@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete