back to Five Willows Literary Review main site

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Three new poems by Julie A. Dickson


Touching Time

 

I’ve walked upon this earth for quite some time.

I don’t know peace nor have I tools to fight.

I have searched for words that strain to rhyme,

to ponder for a moment, seek what’s right

 

In the darkest corners, victims speak,

recall ancestral stories that were told.

Youngest seeking wisdom, future bleak,

advice from learn-ed past and not so bold.

 

To say they know all things, age will not lie.

Some mysteries of time we will not know.

I understand this truth and cease to cry

in anguish turn away and start to go.

 

A hand reached out in empathy draws mine;

I feel connection, wisdom touching time.

 

 

Julie A. Dickson

Exeter, NH

---------------------------------------------------


Lost at Sea

“We both know what memories can bring – they bring diamonds and rust” ~ Joan Baez

 

 

At the full moon, I still hear your voice

filling the room, you gave me no choice.

 

Shimmered, the brilliance – pressed prism of carbon

its beauty- resilience, a rose in my garden.

 

Burst on the scene, a vagabond singer

what did it mean, you neglected to linger.

 

On half shell, an oyster, the pearl set aside,

albeit in foister, merely used as a guide.

 

Rust covers metal, its coating mistrust -

coating shine, not quite subtle, illusion of dust.

 

Left behind, lost at sea – no diamond alliance,

With never a plea – floating lonely in silence.

 

 

Julie A. Dickson

Exeter, NH





---------------------------------------------------



This Path

 

I recognize this path, I’ve walked before

Song drifts on air, it’s sad; so like your voice

Along this path I sigh, recall once more

What might have been if I received a choice

 

No, I won’t cry, refuse the threat of tears

Once hand in hand with you I wandered then

Cannot re-live the pain, so many years

My broken heart reminds me who I’ve been

 

Now I remember you with honest eyes

My trust was broken, tossed like so much dirt

You plunged a blade of words wrapped in your lies

But I refuse to dwell upon the hurt

 

Alone now, and although I may complain

I might decide to walk this path again

 

 

Julie A. Dickson


Exeter, NH

No comments:

Post a Comment